If you’re passionate about literature, you should know that there are many things to do in London for book lovers. Not only has it been the scenario of unforgettable scenes by Dickens, Shakespeare or Virginia Woolf, it has also been an inspiration for many important writers of World Literature – and it still is, nowadays.
Besides, there is something essential in the London for book lovers, a must-visit for all those who never leave home without bringing a book: The British Library, the largest in the world according to its catalogue. You will be able to get lost in there for hours and hours!
Top spots in London for book lovers
But let’s take a closer look at some of the most magical places of London, for book lovers. If you visit the capital of England, you can’t miss out on the following spots:
- The Sherlock Holmes Museum: Let’s start with a classic! In London, there is a place dedicated to the most famous detective, Sherlock Holmes. Of course, it’s located in Baker Street, but even if it bears the number 221B, it’s between numbers 237 and 241.
- Charing Cross Road: This street is famous for its second-hand book stores. Here you will find a ton of hidden gems, and it is the perfect place to get lost among shelves and pages. One of the favourites in London for book lovers!
- The Fitzroy Tavern: Did you think that all the spots in London for book lovers would be quiet places? You were wrong! This tavern was a meeting point for writers and intellectuals during the first half of the 20th century. George Orwell was one of the regulars!
- Shakespeare’s Globe: It’s not the original Globe Theatre (that one was destroyed by fire), but a smaller replica, but you will still be able to vividly imagine how Shakespeare’s plays were represented.
- The Garden Squares of Bloomsbury: If you walk around these beautiful gardens, you will see the plaques located at the homes of Virginia Woolf and John Maynard Keynes or the place where T.S. Eliot once worked.
- The George Inn: A pub that once hosted Shakespeare and Charles Dickens both. A real wonder!
So, are you going to check out these places in London for book lovers? Maybe they will inspire you as they inspired many other writers!