Prague is a city sometimes overlooked, as it has a particular dark charm and an incredibly interesting history that is worth discovering. If you’re planning a trip to Prague you will probably be taken aback by the beauty of its little streets and the many things to see and do, so we’d like to help you out by providing a short list of the top 5 museums in Prague. Don’t miss the following lines!
The best museums in Prague
There are many museums in Prague, so, unless you’re planning on staying in the capital of the Czech Republic for a while, you will have to choose! We have prepared a short list of 5 museums that cover both art and history, so you can get a complete panoramic view of the culture of the city. Get your notepad ready!
- The National Museum: Of course, the most important museum of the city of Prague had to be in this list! The National Museum has historical and natural exhibits that will teach you lots about Prague and the Czech Republic. Don’t forget to visit the Lapidarium, a building that is part of it and that hosts a collection of stone sculptures, the largest one in the country. Don’t miss it!
- The Jewish Museum: The other must-visit historical museum of the city, as you will learn an important piece of the recent history of Prague. It was originally founded to preserve valuable items from the synagogues that had been demolished.
- National Gallery: It’s one of the most important museums in Prague, as it hosts the largesT art collection in the country, both by national artists such as Alfons Mucha and international artists such as Picasso, Miró or Munch. It’s located in several buildings of the city.
- Museum Kampa: Are you into modern art? Then the Kampa Museum is for you, as it has an important collection of international pieces. Besides, it’s located in a beautiful place, in the Kampa island of the river Vltava, which crosses the city.
- Museum of Alchemy: Finally, something completely different! Learn about Prague’s dark, magical and mythical side of history. Or legend, perhaps?
What did you think about our list of the top 5 museums in Prague? Do you have any other one you’d like to recommend? Tell us in the comments!